Thursday, January 19, 2012

Painting Ork Boyz


I had nothing to do but wait. And wait. And wait. Then I discovered painting. I figured that the big pile of Orks and Marines would be a good place to practice. I had no idea where to start, so I did what any red blooded American father would do. I googled how to paint orks and found a bunch of Canadian painters doing “How-to” videos.



I don’t know why the two main sites I found were Canadian, I don’t think it has anything to do with being in Alaska, but who knows. Anyway, the two most educational sites I found were obsidian painting and miniwargaming.com. There I found the basics. I picked up some brushes from Army Painter and then went to the best person for advice on what kind of color scheme I should use for my orks. She picked the colors and I got to painting.



I found it very relaxing after a hectic day, and I found myself in my comfy leather chair each evening painting whilst the wife and kids watched whatever bit of television suited their fancy. And to be honest, I am a bit obsessive and I spent the next couple of Saturdays neglecting my usual chores to finish up painting.



I started with three ork boyz to test the waters. Please do understand that my color choices were not only picked by my daughter, but were somewhat limited by what was available at the local store-so I may not match up with any approved plan-but isn’t that part of the fun. Overall my daughter wanted leather clothes with red accents for the orks (because according to her, the marines will be blue, so the orks have to be red). I couldn’t argue with that logic!
My first three painted orks


I first base coated the whole model with Citadel Foundation Knarloc Green thinned with a little bit of water. I followed this by a wash with Thraka Green to all the exposed skin. After that I dry brushed with successive greens from dark to light.

I tried to get depth in the skin, but I now notice I forgot the fingernails on this one. Ah well. One day I will get to the bases.


Next I did all the clothing with scorched brown to look like leather. Then I base coated all the metal parts and belts black. The weapons, boot toes, belt buckles etc got boltgun metal.

I didn't think to do a badab black wash until I started to do the Nobz later, so the metal stayed fairly bright despite a brush with the gore red.


Next all the accents, boots, bags and gun labels were done with gore red. I also tried to splatter all the metal with the gore red to try to look like blood splatters. Last I added gold to the jewelry and red to the eyes. And there you have it. My first feeble attempt at painting Ork Boyz.


Next I went back and did the other 17 in an assembly line style with the two with the big shootaz being the exceptions needing the backpacks and ammo getting special attention. Below is my (or really my daughter’s) squads of boyz. I still have not decided what kind of basing to do. I am thinking sand with some browning moss. Suggestions are welcome.
20 Ork Boyz ready to play against my son's space marines.

two ork boyz with big shoota in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment